Hosts & history
Hosts & History
Skiing in the family tree
The Moosbrugger family & the Post in Lech
In 1937 Erich and Irma Moosbrugger bought the Gasthof Post in Lech. It was a small hotel with 20 beds, a farm and general store. The signing of the purchase contract marked the beginning of an impressive success story.
Erich’s family came from the Bregenz Forest. In the Baroque period, the Moosbruggers were known as builders and were particularly active in church building around Lake Constance. Many family members later decided to pursue a career as lawyers.
Erich Moosbrugger, on the other hand, was more interested in sports. He came to Lech as a ski instructor when he was just 20, and worked in agriculture in the summer.
Irma came from the Innsbruck hotelier family Skardarasy. Her parents had already bought the Hotel Flexen in Zürs in 1931, later also the Hotel Lorünser and the Zürser Hof. The young Irma was an enthusiastic skier and even won the Madloch race. Her brothers Franz and Ernst Skardarasy became famous as the first pioneers in New Zealand and Australia.
Skiing turns modern
Hannes Schneider founded a ski school on the Arlberg in 1922 and invented the so-called “Arlberg technology”: the stem bow replaced the Telemark swing. In 1937, the same year that the Moosbruggers came to Lech from the Bregenz Forest, the world’s first drag lift was built in Zürs, and the Galzig cable car in St. Anton was one of the first in the Alps.
The passion for skiing brought Erich and Irma together. They married and founded a family with three children (Inge * 1936, Franz * 1938, Ernst * 1943).
Erich Moosbrugger was drafted to serve in 1942. Irma continued the operation alone during the war years and raised three children. The remote village was spared the turmoil of war – but of course also from tourism. Erich returned from the Italian front in 1945 now fully committed to the hotel, but also to building the village of Lech as a winter sports resort.
In 1951, the Moosbruggers gave up their farm and now focused entirely on tourism. The Post was expanded to 55 beds.
All signs pointed to reconstruction, recovery and development. In 1958 the Moosbruggers bought the “sawmill” opposite the inn, further expanding the Post.
In 1960 Queen Juliana of the Netherlands and Prince Bernhard spent their winter holidays in the post office for the first time. A great friendship between the two families began, which has continued in the next generations, a strong as ever today.
A new era dawns
The 1960s marked the beginning of the new era of Lech and the Gasthof Post: international celebrities spent their skiing holidays in the small, remote Alpine village. Skiing became the favorite winter activity of the jet-setters. With particularly sophisticated hotels and high culinary quality, Lech positioned itself as one of the top destinations in the Alpine region – together with St. Moritz and Chamonix.
In 1964 the older son Franz married. Together with his young wife Kristl (born Schalle from St. Anton) Franz took over the business from Erich and Irma Moosbrugger. Franz and Kristl Moosbrugger built an indoor pool just a year later. It was one of the first in Austria.
The next generation of Moosbrugger children soon followed. (Michael * 1966, Johanna * 1967 and Florian * 1969)
In 1972 the Post was fundamentally rebuilt for the first time and received its distinctive pink facade. As early as 1976, the Gasthof Post was included in the international hotel association Relais & Châteaux. In 1984 Franz and Kristl Moosbrugger created a park behind the hotel and installed a small tea house. In 1986 a large salon – the Hubertushalle – was added. Larger receptions and events could now also be held in the post.
Sadly Franz Moosbrugger, a passionate mountaineer, died suddenly in 1988 from altitude sickness in the Himalayas. Kristl Moosbrugger had to continue running the house on her own, the three children took turns supporting their mother. The brave and exemplary management of the Post led to Kristl Moosbrugger being the first woman to be awarded the title of “Hotelier of the Year” in 1990.
In 1994, the three children decided to continue their paths. Florian Moosbrugger returned to the family business after international training, Johanna Moosbrugger took over the maternal family hotel, the Bergschlössl in St. Anton, and Michael Moosbrugger, the eldest son, left the hotel career. He became a winemaker and took over the traditional Schloss Gobelsburg winery in Lower Austria’s Kamptal.
In 1999 Florian Moosbrugger married Sandra Strasser, who was born in Vienna. Together they took over the management of the Hotel Gasthof Post in Lech.
In 2003 Sandra and Florian Moosbrugger picked up on the old tradition of mixed stores and opened the FeinPostLaden. In 2004 the post was named Hotel of the Year and Florian Moosbrugger Hotelier of the Year. The daughters Vivienne (2001) and Violeta (2005) were born.
After the severe flood damage in summer 2005, the famous terrace was rebuilt, including an underground car park.
In 2010, a new wing was added to the Hotel Gasthof Post – there was space for a spacious spa area that included two separate swimming pools: a separate indoor swimming pool with a slide was set up for children, and an area for adults looking for rest was built one floor up that led out into the picturesque Ebrapark. Eleven new rooms were built and furnished in a contemporary manner. The classic postal hand painted murals were also retained in the new rooms. The hotel now had 46 rooms and suites with a total of 95 beds.
Finally, another major renovation was carried out in 2017: the kitchen with storage and preparation rooms was converted into a large, clear room with daylight, so that organization and logistics could be handled perfectly.
At the same time, the historic dining room with a glass facade was opened to the town.
The separation between the hotel restaurant and the à la carte restaurant has been removed. The Hotel Gasthof Post in Lech opened up radically in terms of both appearance and content, and is as beautiful today as it has ever been.