The Moosbrugger & Post Lech family
Skiing in the family tree
In 1937 Erich and Irma Moosbrugger acquired the Gasthof Post in Lech. It was a small hotel with 20 beds, an agriculture and a convenience store. The signing of the purchase agreement marked the beginning of an impressive success story.
Erich’s family came from the Bregenz Forest. In the Baroque period, the Moosbruggers were known as builders and were mainly active in church construction around Lake Constance. Later, many family members decided to pursue a career as lawyers.
Erich Moosbrugger, on the other hand, was more interested in sport. He came to Lech at the age of almost 20 as a ski instructor, in the summer he worked in agriculture.
Irma came from the Innsbruck hotelier family Skardarasy. Her parents had already acquired the Hotel Flexen in Zürs in 1931, later also the Hotel Lorünser and the Zürser Hof. The young Irma was an avid skier,and even won the Madloch racen. Her brothers Franz and Ernst Skardarasy became famous as the first schipioneers in New Zealand and Australia.
THE SKI SPORT BECAME MODERN
Hannes Schneider had founded a ski school on the Arlberg in 1922 and invented the so-called “Arlbergtechnik”: the Stemmbogen replaced the Telemark swing. In 1937, the very year that the Moosbruggers came to Lech from the Bregenz Forest, the world’s first tow lift was built in Zürs, and the Galzig cable car in St. Anton was one of the first in the Alpine region.
The passion for skiing brought Erich and Irma together. They married and founded a family with three children (Inge *1936, Franz *1938, Ernst *1943).
Erich Moosbrugger was drafted in 1942. Irma continued to operate alone during the war years, raising three children. The remote village was spared from terrible war turmoil – but of course also from tourism. Erich returned from the Italian front in 1945 and is now fully involved in the hotel, but also in the construction of the village of Lech as a winter sports resort.
In 1951, the Moosbruggers gave up their agriculture and now focused entirely on the hotel industry. The inn has been extended to 55 beds.
The signs were for reconstruction, recovery and development. In 1958, the Moosbruggers acquired the “saw” opposite the inn.
In 1960, Queen Juliana of the Netherlands and Prince Bernhard spent their first winter holiday in the Post. A great friendship between the two families began, which continued in the next generations.
A JOURNEY BACK IN TIME
The 1960s were the beginning of the new era of Lech and the Gasthof Post: international celebrities spent their skiing holidays in the small, remote Alpine village. Skiing became the jet set’s favorite winter activity. With particularly sophisticated hotels and high culinary quality, Lech positioned itself as one of the top destinations in the Alpine region – together with St. Moritz and Chamonix.
In 1964 heiratete the elder son married Franz. Together with his young wife Kristl (born Schalle from St. Anton), Franz took over the business of Erich and Irma Moosbrugger. Already one year later Franz and Kristl Moosbrugger built an indoor swimming pool.
It was one of the first in Austria. The children of the Moosbruggers were born
(Michael *1966, Johanna *1967 and Florian *1969).
The next conversion followed
In 1972, the Post was completely rebuilt for the first time and received its delicate pink facade. As early as 1976, Gasthof Post was admitted to the international hotel association Relais & Chéteaux. In 1984 Franz and Kristl Moosbrugger set up a park behind the hotel and installed a small tea house. In 1986, a large salon – the Hubertushalle – was added. Now larger receptions and eventscould be held in the Post.
Franz Moosbrugger, a passionate mountaineer,died suddenly in 1988 of altitude sickness in the Himalayas. Kristl Moosbrugger had to continue the house alone, the three children alternated in the support of the mother. The brave and exemplary management of the Post led to Kristl Moosbrugger being the first woman to be awarded the title of “Hotelier of the Year” in 1990.
In 1994, the three children decided on their further life paths. Florian Moosbrugger returned to the family business after international training, Johanna Moosbrugger took over the maternal family home, the Bergschlössl in St. Anton, and Michael Moosbrugger, the eldest son, left the hotel career. He became a winemaker and took over the traditional winery Schloss Gobelsburg in the Lower Austrian Kamptal.
In 1999 Florian Moosbrugger married Sandra Strasser, a native of Vienna. Together, the two took over the management of the Hotel Gasthof Post in Lech.
In 2003 Sandra and Florian Moosbrugger re-established the old tradition of mixed business and opened the FeinPostLaden. In 2004 the Post was named Hotel of the Year and Florian Moosbrugger named Hotelier of the Year. Daughters Vivienne (2001) and Violeta (2005) were born.
After the severe flood damage in the summer of 2005, the famous terrace was rebuilt and underneath an underground car park.
In 2010, a new tract was attached to the Hotel Gasthof Post , where a generously laid out Spa area place, which has two separate swimming pools included: for children, a separate indoor swimming pool with slide furnished, one floor higher an area was built for rest-seeking adults, which is located in the picturesque Ebrapark. Eleven new rooms were built and furnished in a contemporary style. However, the classic post-handwriting was also preserved in the new rooms. The hotel now had 46 rooms and suites with a total of 95 beds.
Finally, in 2017, another major refurbishmentwas carried out: the kitchenwith storage and preparation rooms was converted into a large clear room with natural light in order to be able to handle the organisation and logistics perfectly.
At the same time, the historic dining room with a glass facade was opened to the village.
The separation between hotel-restaurant and à la carte restaurant was abolished, so that the Hotel Gasthof Post in Lech opened up radically both visually and in terms of content.